meet jenny, the easy-going and sweet as pie bride that was referred to me by my hairstylist danny mak from prowave hair salon:
she showed me an image of a makeup look that she liked where the bride had eye makeup with the inner corners brightly highlighted and fluffy lashes creating a wide doe-eyed look. since my bride has slightly monolid eyes i used deep brown matte eyeshadow to create shape on the upper lid and used a matte amber blusher to contour her eyes to give an illusion of depth. i then stacked a half set of lashes in the centre of the full set in order to create a rounder shape.
makeup for monolid eyes is a challenge for many asians. even more challenging is making the makeup natural, as opposed to drawing thick eyeliner across the lid in order for it to show up when eyes are open.
for aspiring actress amanda zhou’s headshots, we did a youthful look using matte brown eyeshadows to keep it very natural.
here is a shot of her eyes before makeup:
how to achieve natural makeup for monolid eyes:
- apply a brown cream base eyeshadow using a natural hair flat shader brush (brush 10) to create the desired shape for the eyes. be sure that the cream shadow shows when eyes are opened.
- pat a matte medium brown eyeshadow on top of the cream base using the same brush, creating a gradation from the lash line upwards.
- use a round pencil brush (brush 5R) to apply a matte deep brown eyeshadow to the outer corners of the eyes.
- curl lashes, then tight line lash line with black painting liner. apply a bit of painting liner above the lash line as well.
- apply a natural set of lashes and coat both the natural and false lashes with lots of mascara. then, use eyelash curler to clamp both together.
- apply brown painting liner to bottom lash line and soften with matte medium brown shadow. apply mascara to bottom lashes.
and here are the photos taken by photographer denise grant in toronto:
and here are some fun shots taken after the shoot: