My inspiration: Summer is a season filled with fun bursts of colour; Dazzling the eyes with glittery purple and blue hues is a playful way to create fresh and flirty eyes. balance the look with soft shimmery pink lips and rosy pink cheeks.
for our series of images for the shu uemura glitter eye collection, my photographer mark darren and i had the chance to work with beautiful and talented actress and model Sarah Lian. it was awesome to be able to work with her, as she is a shu fan herself and had done modelling for shu uemura malaysia when she was working there.
for the summer season, i wanted to create a look that was bright and punchy. i wanted to show off the beautifully pigmented new pressed glitter shadows. to enhance the colours, i used the new cream shadows as a base. this look can also be done for monolid eyes.
to re-create this look: (click here to see the shu uemura website to discover products and tools or visit your local shu uemura counter at Holt Renfrew)
- apply stage performer instant glow to even out skin tone (with the chroma adjuster, it adjusts to your natural skin tone) and to smooth away lines and pores.
- use brush 18 and apply face architect smooth fit foundation in 554 (medium sand).
- use synthetic brush 10 and apply point cealer in medium beige to under eye area and blemishes
- use brush 18R and apply face powder matte in colourless to set makeup
- use natural brush 10 and cream purple shadow P796 and create a gradation from the lash line up, covering the entire lid
- use natural brush 10 and press G blue 646 over the purple cream base, then apply G turquoise 641 to the centre of lid
- use natural brush 10 and apply G purple the the outer corner of the eye and sweep inward
- use brush 5R and G purple to contour the eye socket
- use brush 5R and apply P790 to outer V
- use brush 11 and apply G pink to soften the outer purple edge
- use brush 11 and apply G white-silver 909 to brow bone and temples
- tight line eyes with brush 4F and black painting liner
- apply stretch xtreme mascara after curling lashes
- apply false lashes black diamante or natural volume and line eyes with liquid liner
- use brush 10F and press P790 to bottom lash line over top black painting liner. apply stretch xtreme mascara to bottom lashes.
- use brush 20 to apply glow on 345 (soft coral) to apples of cheeks
- use brush 20 to soften edges and to highlight cheek bones using glow on P510 light peach
- optional: use brush 20h and use glow on 761 to contour
- apply rouge unlimited supreme shine PK306 to entire lip
- apply rouge unlimited supreme shine PK337 to centre of lips for dimension
FOR MONOLID EYES
the same steps can be applied for monolid eyes. photographer james mui helped me produce this lovely photo of amanda z. i used the exact same products and steps on amanda as i did on sarah, except i used the black diamante lashes on her instead and the foundation colour is 764. the great thing about darker coloured cream shadows is that you can use them to create a gradation from the lash line up for monolids to create the appearance of wider eyes.
when doing makeup for monolid eyes, remember to keep opening your eyes as you apply the shadow to make sure that it still shows when your eyes are opened.
use brush 5F to draw thicker eyeliner on the upper lid so that it still shows up once eyes are opened. paint on the painting liner creating a gradation from the lash line upwards.
have fun experimenting!