My inspiration: Summer is a season filled with fun bursts of colour; Dazzling the eyes with glittery purple and blue hues is a playful way to create fresh and flirty eyes. balance the look with soft shimmery pink lips and rosy pink cheeks.
for our series of images for the shu uemura glitter eye collection, my photographer mark darren and i had the chance to work with beautiful and talented actress and model Sarah Lian. it was awesome to be able to work with her, as she is a shu fan herself and had done modelling for shu uemura malaysia when she was working there.
for the summer season, i wanted to create a look that was bright and punchy. i wanted to show off the beautifully pigmented new pressed glitter shadows. to enhance the colours, i used the new cream shadows as a base. this look can also be done for monolid eyes.
to re-create this look: (click here to see the shu uemura website to discover products and tools or visit your local shu uemura counter at Holt Renfrew)
- apply stage performer instant glow to even out skin tone (with the chroma adjuster, it adjusts to your natural skin tone) and to smooth away lines and pores.
- use brush 18 and apply face architect smooth fit foundation in 554 (medium sand).
- use synthetic brush 10 and apply point cealer in medium beige to under eye area and blemishes
- use brush 18R and apply face powder matte in colourless to set makeup
- use natural brush 10 and cream purple shadow P796 and create a gradation from the lash line up, covering the entire lid
- use natural brush 10 and press G blue 646 over the purple cream base, then apply G turquoise 641 to the centre of lid
- use natural brush 10 and apply G purple the the outer corner of the eye and sweep inward
- use brush 5R and G purple to contour the eye socket
- use brush 5R and apply P790 to outer V
- use brush 11 and apply G pink to soften the outer purple edge
- use brush 11 and apply G white-silver 909 to brow bone and temples
- tight line eyes with brush 4F and black painting liner
- apply stretch xtreme mascara after curling lashes
- apply false lashes black diamante or natural volume and line eyes with liquid liner
- use brush 10F and press P790 to bottom lash line over top black painting liner. apply stretch xtreme mascara to bottom lashes.
- use brush 20 to apply glow on 345 (soft coral) to apples of cheeks
- use brush 20 to soften edges and to highlight cheek bones using glow on P510 light peach
- optional: use brush 20h and use glow on 761 to contour
- apply rouge unlimited supreme shine PK306 to entire lip
- apply rouge unlimited supreme shine PK337 to centre of lips for dimension
FOR MONOLID EYES
the same steps can be applied for monolid eyes. photographer james mui helped me produce this lovely photo of amanda z. i used the exact same products and steps on amanda as i did on sarah, except i used the black diamante lashes on her instead and the foundation colour is 764. the great thing about darker coloured cream shadows is that you can use them to create a gradation from the lash line up for monolids to create the appearance of wider eyes.
when doing makeup for monolid eyes, remember to keep opening your eyes as you apply the shadow to make sure that it still shows when your eyes are opened.
use brush 5F to draw thicker eyeliner on the upper lid so that it still shows up once eyes are opened. paint on the painting liner creating a gradation from the lash line upwards.
have fun experimenting!
i’ve been working on a series of photos for the shu uemura glitter eye collection: new glitter pressed eyeshadow shades, cream shadows and silk smooth shadows. it’s been such a fun process; from preparing face charts, to doing test shoots with various models and lighting setups with photographer james mui and then creating the actual and final images with photographer mark darren to submit to shu uemura.
i had the pleasure of meeting and working with talented model adriana chira; together we created a smoky olive look using a combination of the new shadows and one existing shade (ME472) and the shu farfallina lashes. it was so fun to see the colours morph under different lighting setups; the soft grey background gave such a subtle smoky eye with hints of glitter, while the white background really made the colours look punchy.
here are some of the images that were captured during the process of this project (although this post is entitled “part 1”, it’s in no particular order). more photos (parts) from this project to come!
i’ve been having so much fun playing with the new shu uemura eyeshadow textures. there are 3 new silk cream shadows which can be worn alone, as a base for shadows or overtop shadows and 6 new cream eyeshadows. these are perfect for enhancing the new glitter shadows and help to prevent eyeshadows from falling onto the face during application.
there’s also a limited edition refillable eyeshadow/blush case in white! love <3. here’s the palette i created for the purple crush look:
- new medium purple cream shadow
- new G purple glitter shadow
- new P dark plum 790 pressed shadow
- new G blue glitter shadow
this look is super easy to create…
- glow on stage performer to even out skin tone and texture
- face architect smooth fit foundation in 564 (i recently switched to this one because it’s more matte than the illuminating moisture foundation since i’m oilier in the summer months and the smooth fit foundation also contains SPF)
- face powder matte in colourless for T-zone
- cheeks: glow on M 324 (available in Holts Canada only) and glow on P light pink 315 to highlight
click here to see the new shu uemura glitter and cream shadows, new stretch xtreme waterproof fibre mascara and new brown manicure brow mascaras
click here to discover shu uemura hand-crafted brushes
- use brush 10 and apply purple cream shadow blending from the lash line upwards creating a smooth transition
- use brush 10 and pat G purple glitter over top the cream shadow
- use brush 10 and apply P deep plum 790 to the inner and outer parts of the eye to contour the eyeball and create dimension.
- use brush 11 to soften the edges
- use brush 4F and black painting liner to draw a wide line on the lash line and tight line the eyes
- *tip: use eyelash curler to curl the luxe black lashes first, BEFORE applying them on your lashes. this gives the falsies a really good lift and it really widens then eye once applied.
*the tools that you use to apply shadows are even more essential when working with glitters. the best shu uemura brushes are made with kollinsky hair (asian mink) which is very porous. it picks up colour and deposits on the lip minimizing any fall off onto your cheek and gives high colour intensity.
- use brush 10F (flat brush) to press P deep plum 790 onto the outer 2/3 of the lash line
- use brush 4F and brown painting liner to fill in between the lashes and on the waterline then press P deep plum on top – this will really set the liner! it will seriously stay on all day
- use brush 10F and press G blue glitter shadow on the inner 1/3 of lash line and onto the centre of lower lid (overlapping the deep plum)
- apply new strech xtreme mascara to lower lashes
the new stretch xtreme mascara is waterproof. it’s a fibre mascara so you can keep applying to build length and volume.
- i used new shu uemura brow manicure. i absolutely LOVE this new product. the little brush has 2 sides, one with shorter bristles to paint each brow (sweep upwards) and other side with longer curved bristled to put the brows in place. best part is that it’s water and sweat proof! just in time for summer!
shu uemura has just released fun new shades of glitter eyeshadows! What’s even more exciting is that shu uemura has also released new cream eyeshadows which are perfect to enhance the glitter shadows and to intensify the colour of any of the other pressed eyeshadows. i absolutely love, love, love the silky texture of the cream shadows and that they allow me to press on the glitter shadows without having the glitter fall onto my cheeks (we all know how hard that is to wipe off if you’ve already applied your foundation!).
for the warm summer weather, why not try a wearable pink lemonade look? p.s. my eyes aren’t really that big, i’ll teach you how to make eyes appear wider.
- bb beige uv underbase mousse (the green mamechiyo bottle) | pentagon sponge
- face architect illuminating fluid foundation in 564 (medium light sand) | brush 18
- face powder matte in colours | brush 18R
- glow on M | brush 20
click here for the complete collection of new glitter and cream eyeshadows
click here to discover shu uemura hand-crafted brushes
- base: use finger tip or brush 10 to apply brown cream shadow blending from lash line upwards creating a gradation
- base: use finger tip or brush 10 to apply pink cream shadow above the brown and a dab a little to the centre of your lid to create dimension
- inner and outer corners: use brush 10 and M dark brown 895 shadow and contour your eyeball (i know this sounds funny). asian eyes are usually more flat, so we need to create the illusion of dimension.
- use brush 5R and sweep G light brown along upper lash line all the way up to crease
- use brush 10 and press G pink on the centre of lid and above crease (placing glitter on the centre of lid gives dimension and makes eyes appear wider)
- use brush 4F and brown painting liner to draw a thick line to upper lash line (you should really see the line when your eyes are opened). soften that line by sweeping M dark brown 895 on top using brush 5R
- use brush 4F and black painting liner to tight line upper lash line and to line the base/roots of upper lash line. extend the liner outwards (not upwards) to create wider eyes
- *trick: to prevent painting liner from drying out while you’re using it, flip it over onto the table while you’re applying
- curl lashes, apply ultimate expression mascara and luxe black falsies
- use brush 4F and brown painting liner (black will close up the eyes making them appear smaller) and fill in between lower lash line – all the way to inner corner and fill the inner corner also (this makes eyes appear wider)
- use brush 10F to press M dark brown 895 into lash line to set the painting liner
- use brush 10F and apply G yellow to inner corners and centre of lower lid
- *trick: use liquid liner pen to draw a few bottom lashes on the outer 1/3 of lower lid to make eyes look wider
- apply gold liquid liner to inner corner and to bottom of of outer edge (flick) of liner – this will lift the eyes
have fun!! the sunshine is out, play around with some glitter!