for the collection, our international artistic direct kakuyasu uchiide created a beautiful chocolatey look using the orange & pistachio palette. for second look that i did for the new shu uemura fall 2012 chocolat-donna collection, i wanted to use the palettes in a slightly different way. i focused more on the pistachio green in the orange & pistachio palette since it’s such a unique colour. i also wanted to incorporate the mint & vanilla palette, so i used the mint green shimmery shadow for highlighting.
photographer mark darren helped me to create these lovely images of model and actress sarah lian:
decorate a sensual chocolatey eye with hint of pistachio to the centre of the lids. this really switches up the typical neutral eye. complete the lovely lady-like look with a bold and glossy red lip for added drama.
to get the look:
- for a flawless canvas, prep skin with concentrate (tsuya skin was used on model – review on this product to come soon!)
- apply tsuya uv underbase mousse to smooth away pores so that foundation glides on perfectly (review to come)
- use brush 18 to apply face architect smooth fit fluid foundation in 564
- use cover crayon concealer in 7YR ML to under eye, nose and outer corner of lip area and on blemishes and use synthetic brush 10 to blend
- use brush 18R and face powder matte in colourless to set
- use natural brush 10 and apply creamy eye shadow in p medium olive 461 to eye socket to create shape
- use natural brush 10 and apply matte light brown shade from the pistachio & orange palette over the creamy shadow; use brush 11 to soften
- deepen definition using brush 10 and apply dark matte brown shade from the same palette to crease and lower lid
- use brush 11 and apply pistachio shade to the centre of lid
- use brush 4R to apply orange shade to inner corner and lower lid
- use brush 12 highlight brow bone with peach shade from palette (the mint shade from the mint & vanilla palette was used on model)
- leave brows or simply apply brow manicure in ash brown to leave focus on the eyes
- use brush 2R to line eyes with black painting liner
- curl lashes and apply stretch xtreme mascara
- apply choco-lash partial lashes
- use brush 20 to apply apricot glow on to apples of cheeks
- line lips with nude lip liner
- use lip brush to apply rouge unlimited in rd160
- apply clear lip vinyl over top
- if enlarged pores are of concern, a quick tip to fix this is to apply face powder matte in colourless before applying foundation and again after. by applying the loose powder before, pores are smoothed away, which creates a smooth canvas for foundation to glide over.
i didn’t have my husband there to take some step-by-step photos this time. i’ll be sure to bring him next time!
The make-up look that Kakuyasu Uchiide created for the JCDC was stunning. The collection’s theme was the black eagle and Uchiide-San designed an intricate look to reflect it. I must say that it was a very challenging and technical look that requires a lot of patience, as there was a lot of gradation involved using dark eyeshadows. It took 45-60 minutes to complete one model! It was so hectic backstage as hairstylists and makeup artists worked hard to complete everything on time! At one point uk senior artist haydn jones and i were working on one model together in order to speed up the process! Uchiide-San couldn’t help but giggle at the sight of us – true team work!
I was so honored when Uchiide-San came to personally help me as I was starting the look. I’ve learned so much and have so much to practice! Uchiide-San always makes things look so simple, but the shu uemura brush technique is like no other; It requires so much discipline. Watching him at work is like watching an artist paint his canvas with impeccable precision. I’ll never forget this experience.
the venue: l’oratoire du louvre
reference photo of the gothic makeup look created by kakuyashu uchiide for JCDC
backstage makeup area (top floor of l’oratoire du louvre); it got pretty crazy in here!
my first model complete. i loved uchiide-san’s creation of the feathered graphic design on the temple.
my second model complete. she’s canadian! amanda from ottawa – such a sweetheart.
a crazy scramble backstage just before the show
inside the venue – p. diddy was at this show! lol
my model rocking the catwalk!
photos taken from www.madame.lefigaro.fr
watch the show! the music really completed the show creating an eery ambiance.
JC de CASTELBAJAC FIRE ON ICE AW12/13 from JCDCnews on Vimeo.
I felt so honored to be invited by talented Kakuyasu Uchiide (international director of shu uemura) to shadow him at a full-day editorial shoot with Soon Magazine. The four breath taking looks created by Uchiide were shot by renowned French photographer Thomas Paquet. I was blown away watching Uchiide-San build lashes out of real rose petals! I was almost in tears seeing the beauty being created just a few feet away from me! Uchiide-San was so patient and attentive while creating each of the four looks inspired by rebirth in nature. I didn’t want the day to end. This was an incredible experience that I will forever carry with me throughout my makeup career. I even got a photo signed by Thomas and Uchiide-San! Uchiide-San has truly inspired me, yet again, to strive to better my technique and to search for beauty around me.
kakuyasu uchiide international artistic director of shu uemura. i’ve honestly never had an “idol” before until now. character + talent = truly admirable.
ludovic engrand PR manager for shu uemura. he arranged everything for me; truly made me feel like part of the family.
haydn jones senior make-up artist from UK. like a big brother, he taught and helped me so, so much backstage during the fashion shows.
yumiko yamamoto chief make-up artist UK. such a kind heart; she shared her love and passion for shu uemura with me.
the editorial magazine only comes out four times a year! i have to find out how i can get my hands on it!
ever since i first started as shu uemura’s official make-up artist for north america, kakuyasu uchiide – international artistic director for shu uemura – has kept in touch with me and is always so kind in providing me with guidance. uchiide-san is such a talented artist and has such a sincere passion for the true beauty behind the art. i had the honour of being invited by uchiide-san to work along side him and his france team during paris fashion week.
working along side kakuyasu uchiide was truly an honor. i was amazed watching him apply makeup with such ease and precision. despite such a hectic schedule, he was so calm, patient and helpful. he taught me so much even though there was so much going on. working backstage for such a renowned designer and with such an amazing team of shu uemura artists led by gracious uchiide-san was more than i could ever ask for! his concept seemed so simple, but requires so much skill; who would have thought drawing a straight rectangular line could be such a challenge! each model’s eyes are so different, requiring much skill to adapt the shape perfectly. the look inspired by a glowing, rosy face after a day on the slopes fit the collection magically. big thank you to uchiide-san for such an unforgettable experience!
begins to get busy…
uchiide-san demos to the team the makeup look he created
off to work i go! (photo taken from www.puretrend.com)
my first model complete
my second model done (photo taken from www.elle.com)
watch the show!
in collaboration with photographer teddy chau and a definite up and coming model effie tsorovas, i created a summer look using shu uemura partial floral feather lashes and the dreamy petal palette. i was truly inspired by shu uemura’s international director kakuyasu uchiide’s artistic style. a fresh floral look fit for the summer sun.
it was down to 5 of us! we were to compete live in toronto during the luminato festival in toronto. jugdes included:
- Kakuyasu Uchiide; International Director shu uemura
- Janice Price; CEO Luminato
- David Teeter, Divisional Vice President Cosmetics, Holt Renfrew
- Vanessa Craft, Beauty Director, Elle Canada
- Janna Johnson, Beauty Editor Elle USA
- Alexander Keller, Vice-President Luxury Division, L’Oréal Canada
- Jehanne Simon, Marketing Director shu uemura
we had 30 minutes to create a look with makeup and brushes that we had never used before. it was intense, but such a great experience. the highlight of my night was meeting international director kakuyasu uchiide.
watch me on city news: